Open to students attending Screen Day Out at the 2018 Sydney Film Festival, the Student Critics Competition encourages aspiring young writers to develop their passion for movies. Established this year with the support of ATOM, the competition celebrates insightful film criticism, in memory of film writer and former Sydney Film Festival director Sylvia Lawson.
To enter, students need to submit a 750-word piece on one of the films screened in the festival’s 2018 Screen Day Out program.
Submissions should be sent to email@example.com before 10 July 2018.
A panel of three film writers will review the entries and select one winner, who receives 12 double film passes courtesy of Event Cinemas and a Flexipass 10 for the 66th Sydney Film Festival.
Only one entry per student. The following criteria will be used to judge student reviews.
The extent to which the review
- informs the reader about key details of the film;
- explains the storyline of the film;
- provides insightful analysis of the film;
- conveys the reviewer’s impression of the film;
- recommends the film to a potential audience;
- shapes content to form a logically ordered and cohesive response;
- uses language in accurate and expressive ways to engage the readers’ attention.