Ship of Theseus
Anand Gandhi's debut feature combines the thrill of India's new
independent cinema with the grand tradition of Indian philosophy.
In the ambitious three-part screenplay, three characters living in
Mumbai explore the tenuous relationship between mind, body and soul
as they confront disease and disability.
A blind artist has her vision surgically restored and fears she'll
lose her inspiration. An ascetic monk and activist is diagnosed
with terminal cirrhosis of the liver and decides to end his own
life by fasting. A stockbroker tries to help a poor slum dweller
whose kidney was stolen.
Despite its contemplative nature, the film is no dry intellectual
exercise, but a highly engaging meditation on contemporary life.
Nimble editing intertwines the frank, flowing dialogue with
ravishing shots of the teeming city. Ship of Theseus is an
unexpected and audacious indie epic and sets Gandhi apart as an
exciting new cinematic voice.
- Director Anand Gandhi
- Year 2012
- Country India
- Classification Unclassified (18+ only)
- Runtime 139 mins
- Language English, Hindi and Arabic with English subtitles
- Screenwriter Anand Gandhi
- Producer Mukesh Shah, Sohum Shah
- Cinematographer Pankaj Kumar
- Editor Adesh Prasad, Reka Lemhenyi, Sanyukta Kaza , Satchit Puranik
- Cast Aida El-Kashef, Neeraj Kabi, Sohum Shah
- World Sales Fortissimo Films
- Production Company Recyclewala Films
- Awards Transilvania Trophy (Main Prize), Best Cinematography (Pankaj Kumar)- Transilvania International Film Festival; Muhr AsiaAfrica Award (Best Actress- Feature- Aida El-Kashef)- Dubai International Film Festival; Best Artistic Contribution Award (Pankaj Kumar)- Tokyo International Film Festival; Silver Gateway (Jury Prize for Technical Excellence- Pankaj Kumar)- Bombay International Film Festival
- Genre India, Religion, Spirituality & Myth
Add to Wishlist/Schedule:
(Click the star to add this film to your own list, access your list here. Share your list with friends via Facebook, Twitter and email)
- Filmmaker guest Anand Gandhi