Meet the up-and-coming grandmasters of chess, players who could
one day rival the achievements of the Cold War legends, Russia's
Boris Spassky and America's Bobby Fischer. Today's undisputed world
champion since 2007 is an Indian - Viswanathan Anand. But the
budding Indian grandmasters in Algorithms play in a
different league - they compete in the World Junior Blind Chess
Championship. Over three years, documentarian Ian McDonald follows
three talented boys from different parts of India as they battle
their opponents and inner demons. Their mentor, Charudatta, is a
former chess champion with big dreams for blind chess in India, and
he drives them hard.
This beautifully understated film is shot in black and white, like
the chess board itself. It draws parallels between the foresight
required by the great game and three sightless lives seeking their
Ian McDonald and Geetha J's appearances are kindly sponsored by
FIDE, the World Chess Federation.
Click here to read a Q&A with director Ian McDonald
- Director Ian McDonald
- Year 2012
- Country India
- Classification Unclassified (18+ only)
- Runtime 100 mins
- Language English, Hindi, Tamil and Odiya with English subtitles
- Premiere status International Premiere
- Producer Geetha J.
- Cinematographer Ian McDonald
- Editor Ian McDonald, Ajithkumar B.
- Production Company Akam Puram
- Genre Health, India, International Premieres
Add to Wishlist/Schedule:
(Click the star to add this film to your own list, access your list here. Share your list with friends via Facebook, Twitter and email)
- Filmmaker guest Ian McDonald, Geetha J